Thursday, April 7, 2011

I was thinking on the way back from school one day, when was the happiest time of my life.

So many happy incidents of course, but a period which was truly memorable? A period where I felt so carefree and happy, being away from it all, being in a place where there was no politics, no anger, no unhappiness and where life was just simple and fun.

Then I realised it was the AME period in Chiang Mai.

Sleeping in sleeping bags on the floor, showering in a toilet where flooding was perpetual, seeing huge lizards (sometimes frogs) and without the internet for 2 weeks.

Yet I was so happy, I didn't need my comfy bed or 2000 threadcount bedsheets. I didn't need a gorgeous shower and I didn't need high speed internet.

I always wondered, how come I was so happy then, even happier than now when I'm in Seattle, with my own apartment, with a relatively high speed internet and a nice bathroom.

I still haven't figured why. But all I know is that suddenly I miss those times. Every new person met was a brother or sister.

Maybe, the older one becomes, the harder it is to be happy. Or maybe my eyes have become clouded, that only shiny new things would be able to catch my attention.

Whatever it is, I have decided. During my graduation trip, I probably would take a month off to go back there again. Things would be different, but we'll see.

Maybe right now, I just need to be away from it all.

No comments: