Saturday, April 16, 2011

I hate to admit it, but the feeling of being 'old' sets in when scenarios around me just had to prove it. It doesn't even have to be extreme situations, even random moments when you realise, 'oh crap, I'm not young anymore.'

Of course I don't mean wrinkles ( but heck, I've already started on anti-aging products) or white hair, saggy skin or aching bones. It's like a state-of-mind, of what's acceptable or what's not.

When I was a younger, daikon, spring onions or any sort of onions were definite no-nos. I would meticulously pick them out or stubbornly refuse to allow them any contact with my body. Yet recently, I find myself craving for them, appreciating the wonderful complex taste of these 'awful' veggies.

Take the two door cinema club concert for example, preteens and teens were moshing together, and it was helluva discomfort. Probably my worst experience at a concert though the music was good. The thought of staying at home blasting the music while sipping a cup of tea comforted me, yet jolted me back to reality. My oh my, sounds comforting to someone awfully old.

And then playing the album now with the lyrics ' We're not kids you know" blasting in the background. Obviously I'm not a kid, I probably haven't used that term to my parents since, 18? Yet when the fans around me during the concert sang along, it felt as if the feeling resonated in their hearts. All I could think of was " Pffft. duh?"

Did I mention how I find it comforting to have seniors and post graduates in my class, even though the classes are definitely much harder this semester. Enough of freshies already, annoying little gits.

No comments: